Lochalsh began as a small station and section village along the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). By the early 1920s, the settlement was home to only four CPR employees. Things changed quickly with the discovery of gold in the area.
By the 1930s, traffic had begun to pick up between Lochalsh and Goudreau as prospectors and developers passed through the CPR station on their way to the bush. At the beginning of the decade Lochalsh contained a store and post office. By 1937 it had grown to include three stores, two hotels, both of which had beer parlours, a restaurant, and a bunkhouse. At its height, Lochalsh boasted a population of close to 200.
By the end of World War II, many of the gold mines had closed. With the mines closed, people began to leave the area. Most of the businesses in Lochalsh were gone by the end of the 1960s.
Today a number of original structures can still be found in Lochalsh. These include the old bunk house, and a number of homes. Lochalsh still supports a seasonal population. Learn more