Goudreau began as a simple siding on the Algoma Central Railway (ACR) in 1912. Initially all it contained was a tiny station and a few section houses for the workers.
By the early 20s, mining had begun to heat up in the region. Goudreau quickly developed into a convenient dropping off and supply point for the prospectors.
At its height, Goudreau boasted a population of about 200 permanent residents. The community included a hotel, boarding houses, two stores, and a garage.
During the Second World War, precious metals were not as prized as iron, nickel and steel. Gradually the mines began to close and the community started to decline.
Today Goudreau has no permanent residents, although many of its buildings are occupied seasonally during the summer. The old garage, store and schoolhouse still stand. Learn more