Worthington was a small mining community west of Sudbury. Owned by the Dominion Mineral Company, work began on the property around 1889. The mine was in production by 1891. Ores were treated at the Blezard Mine until 1895, when the company folded.
In the meantime a small townsite had developed at the Worthington mine. Initially it contained about 35 dwellings, a company store, railway station and a post office. By 1910 the settlement included a few more stores, a hall, a two-storey hotel and a school. At its height, Worthington boasted 400-500 residents.
In 1915 mining was renewed at Worthington after the Mond Nickel Company purchased the mine. Operations continued until October 4th, 1927, when a foreman noticed some unusual shifts in the rocks. An immediate evacuation was ordered. A few hours later, the entire mine workings collapsed. Fortunately no one was hurt, however the mine closed for decades following the disaster.
Worthington continued to survive through the 30s and 40s as a small highway service outlet. In the mid-50s, the community saw a modest mining revival with the opening of the Kidd-Copper, and Totten mines, just east of the old townsite. Those mines lasted about 15 years before closing. Most of the residents left shortly after that.
The community has enjoyed a revival in the last few years. The current owner, mining giant Vale, sealed the cave-in about 15 years ago. Then they reopened the Totten Mine in 2014. In 2021, 39 miners were trapped following an accident when a scoop bucket jammed in the main shaft. Although it took about three days to rescue all the miners, fortunately there were no injuries. Mining activity resumed a few months later. Vale estimates the mine’s lifespan is approximately 20 years. Learn more