North Seguin was another reminder of the utter failure of the Ontario Government’s road colonization scheme.
The community was first settled in the mid 1870s. Many of the early residents came from England, although some were homegrown from other parts of Ontario. Most came to take advantage of the land grants program, which offered free land to those who were able to reside on the land for a minimum of four years, build a small dwelling and have at least 12 acres under cultivation.
By the 1880s the community included a post office, school, Methodist church and an Orange Hall. There was a small store for regular provisions, such as lamp oil, flour and other staples with a blacksnith shop located in the rear. The school was located on Concession 5, later known as the Orange Valley Road.
By all accounts, North Seguin was a close knit community. Residents mingled with and shared services and amenities with the neighbouring communities of Dufferin Bridge and Seguin Falls. Most residents got by with light farming during the summer and lumbering during the off season.
North Seguin survived much longer than its nearby neighbour, Dufferin Bridge. Once the depression hit, and the sawmill closed, the decline began.
Today there are still a handful of residents in North Seguin, although most only reside there seasonally. A few original homes, the schoolhouse and a Pentecostal Church, which opened in 1918, still stand. Newer building replaced many of the original homes. An historical plaque with a brief history and picture of a home that once belonged to the Vickers family now stands at the junction of the Nipissing and Orange Valley Roads. Learn more