Moncrieff was a small mill settlement in Huron County, first settled in the 1860s.
At its height, Moncrieff boasted two sawmills and a flour mill. Besides the mills, the hamlet boasted a store, post office, blacksmith shop, and boarding house for the mill hands. One of the sawmills expanded to include a feed mill and grain chopper. The community added a large Presbyterian Church in 1911.
Moncrieff was never large and contained an average population of about 50. One of the mills remained in operation until 1980.
Today Moncrieff continues to support a small population. A number of early structures still stand and remain in use as private dwellings. These include the store and church. The schoolhouse has found new use as a community centre. Learn more