Photo of infrastructure
Infrastructure popping up through the weeds
©Jeri Danyleyko

Ludgate’s beginnings were modest. Settlement began with a small flag station built by the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) in 1908 to supply the lumber camps in Parry Sound Region.

Around 1917 James Ludgate, a timber contractor who owned a small mill, moved his operation over to the area, and established a small sawmill village. He also managed the Schroeder Mill and Timber Co. operations in Ontario in nearby Lost Channel.

At its height Ludgate contained a blacksmith shop, cookery, cabins for the railway employees, and eight dwellings for the mill hands. One of mill dwellings was later converted to a school. The settlement also included an office, later converted to a store. The mill was conveniently located near the intersection of both the CPR and CN lines.

Today a number of people still reside in the area. Three original structures are still standing, an office, a home, and a bunkhouse. You require permission to enter the former townsite. Learn more

Hot to get there

Ludgate can be found at the end of a private road that runs south of Highway 522 on the west side of the railway tracks. This is private property. Be sure to ask permission before exploring the former townsite. See a more detailed map

View Ontario Ghost Town Map in a larger map

Please note: these maps are generated by Google. We have no control over the contents. Incorrect street data and/or similar problems must be reported directly to Google.

Scroll to Top