Khiva was a small hamlet in Huron County that thrived during the mid to late 19th century.
The community began as a stopping place during the late 1860s, with a busy hotel and tavern located at the crossroads of Concession 13 and the Crediton Road. Business picked up in the 1870s with the opening of a sawmill by the Ratz brothers, John and Valentine. A post office opened in 1878, with Valentine Ratz as the first postmaster.
Shortly after the post office opened, Ratz moved on to a highly successful political career that included 21 years at the municipal level, followed by two terms as a federal MP and an appointment to the senate.
Khiva began to decline following improvements to the roads that drew traffic away from the settlement. Khiva’s small population resulted in limitations to its actual commercial activities. The hotel closed in the early 1900s, followed by the Ratz mill, which lasted until about 1924.
Today, other than a sign, and a few older homes, there are few reminders of Khiva. Learn more