In 1909, the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) built in small section village of Key Junction. Its purpose was to service the railway’s main line and spur line that connected to Key Harbour.
The community began with a station, water tank, and a coal chute with storage beds to stockpile coal. By 1915, they added six family homes, a section foreman’s house and post office.
Unfortunately, the railway closed the Key Harbour facility in 1916. It remained unused until 1929, when Canadian National Railways (CN) opened a coal dock. Key Junction bounced back to life with the opening of a store in 1930, a school and a fire tower.
After the coal dock closed in 1938, Key Junction began to decline. By 1950, the railway had abandoned line. They closed the section village in 1958. Learn more