Frood Mine and Extension
Frood Mine, named for Thomas Frood, a schoolteacher, chemist, and amateur prospector has the distinction of having his name on one of the greatest nickel-copper bodies in the world.
Frood, along with a partner A.J. Cockburn, did not have the capital to build a mine. Eventually their titles ended up in the hands of the Canadian Copper Company (CCC later INCO). They sank a shaft in 1899 but processing difficulties led to the mine’s closure in 1903.
INCO, having little confidence in nearby Creighton Mine, reopened the mine 10 years later in 1913. They also set up a small company village with nine houses, a rooming house, post office, dryhouse and other assorted mining buildings. They added a school the following year.
The mine went through various ups and downs, closing in 1915 and then reopening in 1924. A merger with the Mond Nickel Company in 1929 cemented INCO’s commitment to expanding the mine.
Although the townsite was never large, it lasted until the early 70s. INCO closed the townsite in the md 1960s, largely because of political decisions made by the city of Sudbury. Learn more