Fossmill was located on the north shore of the Wasi River, about 25 kilometres east of Powassan. It began as a depot site in 1891 but didn’t really take off until Bill Foster added a sawmill in 1902.
Things began to boom in 1915 after the Canadian Northern Railway (later CN) laid down track. They quickly added a small prefab station and a siding. By then the community consisted of a mill, office, blacksmith shop, store and privately run boarding house. The Fasset Lumber Company purchased the property in 1924.
Fasset immediately began to expand the operation. They enlarged the mill, added a lath and picket mill and built a new railway station. Other improvements included a new bunkhouse, additional houses, a larger store and a gas pump. They also added a school and a Catholic Church. At its height, an average of 175 people lived in the townsite.
Fossmill was hit with a number of devastating fires that started in 1929. Coupled with a severe cash crunch during the great depression, the company was hurting badly. A third fire in 1934 finally put an end to things. With timber limits rapidly drying up, the company decided to pack it in. Many of Fossmill’s employees later relocated to Kiosk about 23 kilometres east.
Today very little remains of this once thriving townsite. It is still possible to find a number of foundations in the bush. Learn more