Eskdale, located in Bruce County, never had much. It was a tiny place containing little else besides a post office and school. Its unusual name is Scottish in origin. The post office was located right on the township line between Bruce and Kincardine and it moved back and forth between townships several times during its existence.
Settlers arrived in Eskdale in the early 1850s. By the mid-1850s an early log school, U.S.S. #3, Bruce and Kincardine, stood on Lot 11, Concession 1, on the southwest corner. A frame school replaced it in 1873.
Eskdale was mainly a farming area and offered little in the way of shops or businesses. There was stage coach service three times a week between Tiverton and Eskdale.
With no other institutional buildings in the area, the school became home to a variety of social and community events. It remained in use until 1965 and later for private use. Learn more