Epping was a tiny crossroads hamlet first settled around the 1850s. The townsite’s locale was absolutely beautiful. Situated on top of a hill overlooking the lushly fertile Beaver Valley, residents looked down upon a rich patchwork of colours. John Benson established a post office in his home in 1858.
By the 1860s, Epping acquired a school, store, shoemaker and a Methodist church. At its height it included two carpenters, a mason and a blacksmith. An Anglican Church opened in 1880.
As with many small farming hamlets, Epping’s decline began in the early part of the 20th century. As transportation improved, people began travelling to larger centres that were better able to accommodate their needs.
There are only two reminders of Epping. One is the Mount Hope Methodist Church, boarded up years ago. The other is the schoolhouse, now renovated into a private home. The remainder of the area has reverted back to farmland. Learn more