Collins Inlet was a small lumber mill settlement, first started in 1868. In 1886, the mill got a big boost after John Bertram, a former politician and lumber man purchased the operation. Bertram promptly enlarged the mill and expanded the townsite. Eventually the townsite included a boarding house, cottages, company store, post office, school and boat works.
Bertram was a proponent of responsible lumbering who advocated for responsible harvesting, reforestation, and the establishment of protected areas near rivers and around unstable grounds. Although his opinions were very much in the minority, he put his beliefs into practice. The mill was profitable until 1918 until fire destroyed it. That led to the abandonment of the community shortly thereafter.
Collins Inlet experienced a revival of sorts with the opening of the Mahzenazing River Lodge. A number of the old buildings were converted to guest houses and became part of the lodge.
Today Collins Inlet is only accessible by boat. A number of ruins, along with a few buildings still remain. Learn more