CFB Picton was established by the British in 1940 as an air training base and bombing school. At its height, it contained numerous hangars, 2,500 foot runways and five bombing ranges. It was home to almost 1,000 officers and airmen.
Since the village of Picton was only a five minute drive away, they offered very few additional services and amenities. A post office operated from 1942-44. At the end of the war, the British departed and turned the facility over to Canadian authorities.
The RCAF (later Canadian Armed Forces) continued to use the base throughout the 50s and 60s. During the 1950s, they added a large housing complex about a kilometre east of the camp. It included 250 homes, a grocery store, public school and two chapels. They expanded recreational facilities within the camp to include badminton, basketball, volleyball, boxing, floor hockey and archery.
They used the camp for a variety of military purposes until 1969. At that point the DND shut down and closed the facility as part of overall military downsizing. They then sold the entire facility to a private operator, who leased the different buildings to an assortment of manufacturers. The former Base is now under new ownership and publicly accessible. Learn more