Campania was a tiny settlement located in Amaranth Township in Dufferin County. It became an official community in 1894 when John Davis opened a post office, which lasted until 1912.
During the early days Campania had a school, Orange Lodge and a Methodist church. There were few businesses and commercial services other than farm-based exceptions. They included a sawmill, a blacksmith and apiaries.
By the mid-1940s the Orange Lodge had merged with the lodge in Shelburne and was history. Shortly after that the Women’s Institute purchased the lodge building, where they remained until 1960 when they moved into the church. The church building is now under private ownership and used for storage. Little remains of Campania, other than a few surrounding rural and farm homes. Learn more