Uno Park, located in the Temiskaming District, was first settled in the late 1890s. By 1901 there was a general store and post office. A school followed the next year.
In 1905, the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (now Ontario Northland Railway) had reached the Uno Park area. They established a station, siding, freight shed, section house, and town site. Once railway access was in place, Uno Park began to boom.
By 1910 Uno Park had added two churches, Baptist and Roman Catholic, and a cheese factory. The railway area expanded to include a cattle chute and stock yards. By the early 1920s, Uno Park boasted a population of around 200 and was well on its way to becoming a prominent community.
Tragically, the devastating forest fire of 1922 hit a several communities, including Uno Park, very hard. The fire, which wiped out a number of communities in the area, dealt a severe blow to the hamlet. Although a few buildings remained standing, many residents left the area shortly after. Uno Park never recovered.
Today Uno Park continues to support a small population. Three original structures still stand near the railway siding. The school is now in use as a shed and the church stands empty. Two original village homes remain occupied. The remainder of the area has reverted to farmland. Learn more