Spragge, located in Algoma Region, had its beginnings in 1882 as a sawmill community. Originally named Cook’s Mills, the settlement contained a small store, several bunkhouses and private homes, and a post office that opened in 1885. The community was home to about 350 residents. After the mill changed ownership in 1895, they renamed the community to Spragge.
The mill closed in 1904 and reopened again under new ownership in 1913. By 1926 the population stood at 300. By then the townsite included a number of workers cabins, a store, a school, a hotel and a railway station. Recreational facilities consisted of a combination poolhall/ice cream parlour.
In 1932 the mill had closed again, this time a victim of the depression. In September of that same year, fire struck the lumber yard. Fanned by a western wind, flames engulfed the entire townsite. By the time it was over, the fire reduced approximately 75 per cent of the townsite to ashes. Fire struck again the following year, this time destroying the mill.
The Spragge that appears on today’s maps is not the same townsite as the original mill town, nor is it in the same location. All that remains of the original town site are a few foundations. Learn more