The Spanish Mills Lumber Company owned one of the largest and most productive mills on the north shore of Lake Huron.
The small townsite that grew up around the mill encompassed a dozen homes for management, a few for family employees, as well as a boarding house, school, church, dance hall and McNeil’s general store. The community peaked in the early twenties at 200 plus residents, but by 1927 things turned sour and the mill closed.
They sold the mill itself for scrap and sent the machinery to Skead, near Sudbury. They skidded off most of the sturdy homes to the main shore, leaving the remainder to rot of burn. The tug Wahnapitea, owned by the mill, also found its end in the nearby Detroit Channel. On a good day one can still see the wreck sitting 20 feet below. A post office opened in 1868. Its original name was Spanish River. That changed to Spanish Mills in 1906. The office closed in 1927