Sinclairs Corners was an early settlement in Bruce County. Its name came from Archibald Sinclair, a Scottish farmer who had recently settled in Bruce Township.
By the early 1850s, Sinclair had established grist and saw mills. In 1853, his son Peter opened the first post office in the township, known as Bruce P.O. The community subsequently went on to add a Presbyterian Church, a school, two small stores and a potashery.
Sinclairs Corners appeared to be off to a promising start. Then Norman McInnes opened a new general store about 2 1/2 kilometres south of of Sinclairs Corners in what was to become the village of Tiverton. The McInnes store was an instant success. As a result, other businesses, as well as the Presbyterian Church, quickly moved to Tiverton to be closer to the store and growing population.
Today modern suburban style homes line the main street of this early settlement. In recognition of the early settlers, a small historical plaque marks the location of this once important community. The Sinclairs Corners school closed in 1965 and is now a private home. Learn more