Shiloh was a small milling town in Wellington County. It got its start in the mid-1860s when a young miller named James Huxtable built a sawmill along the Speed River.
Huxtable had grown up in mills and had sawdust in his blood. His father had built the Huxtable Mill back in the 1840. It’s not surprising that the mill was an instant success. Following an accident, Huxtable sold the mill to Nicholas Lynett, who dismantled it, moved it downstream, an opened a grist mill in its place. Sometimes in the 1860s, a school opened.
By the 1870s, Shiloh added a store and post office. A Grange Hall operated during the 1880s. Shiloh offered little else in the way of commercial activity. The mills lasted until early in the 20th century. After they closed Shiloh fell into a steep decline.
All that remained in Shiloh by the 1920s were two mere dwellings. The owners jacked up the others, lifted them up and moved them elsewhere.
Today Shiloh still exists as a small rural backwater. One original home and the schoolhouse still stand. Learn more