Proton Station, located in Grey County began as a small flag stop on the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway (later Canadian Pacific). The community, although settled somewhat earlier, had its official beginnings around 1872 with the arrival of the railway.
Although Proton Station was never large, it supported a considerable amount of commercial activity during its early years, undoubtedly due to the presence of the railway. Industries included two sawmills and a brick yard. Businesses included a general store, hardware store, a hotel, a farm implements store, and a blacksmith shop, later converted to garage and gas station. There were also two churches, a school, an Orange Lodge and a bank.
The village thrived until the mid-20th century, when many of the businesses began to relocate to larger centres. The railway tracks were lifted in the 1980s.
Today Proton Station continues to support a small number of residents. A few original homes and the former general store still stand. One institution that continues to function is the post office, which operates out of the postmaster’s home. Learn more