Pickerel Landing Village
Pickerel Landing Village, located in the Parry Sound Region, began with the formation of the Pine Lake Lumber Company in 1910. Their mill equipment was purchased from the Ontario Lumber Company in French River, and then reassembled in Pickerel Village. The mill was in operation by 1912.
Pickerel Village was actually divided into three separate town sites. The first, situated directly south of the landing contained a Catholic church, a store, five dwellings, a boarding house, and a few other structures.
The second was located north of the CPR line and contained a school, boarding house and a number of dwellings. A second store was added in 1922.
The third, located east of the mill, contained a few homes and later, a dance hall. A post office, opened in 1918, was moved around between the different stores over the years.
Pickerel Village’s population declined steadily during the depression years, but it was never totally abandoned. Today it continues to support a small population and enjoys a summer boom. A few original structures still remain, along with extensive foundations from the mill. Learn more