Following the opening of the Elora-Saugeen Road in the mid-1850s, settlers began making their way northward to the lush farmlands of Bruce County.
In those early days, stagecoach travel was rough, treacherous and accident prone. The coaches could rarely travel more than a few kilometres per day. Thus began the era of the simple, outpost, stopping place, where weary travellers could disembark for a meal, good night’s rest and recover from any injuries. Parker’s first hotel opened in the mid-1850s. By 1865 Thomas Burns had opened a post office and a few other businesses had moved in.
Parker was never large and it didn’t last long. Following road improvements in the early 20th century, there was little need for numerous stopover towns. Consequently Parker declined swiftly. The post office closed in 1929. A few farms continue to occupy the area. A derelict gas station sat at Parker’s crossroads for many years until it finally met the wrecker’s ball. The former hotel still stands. Also still standing is the old schoolhouse now renovated into an attractive private home. There is a new butcher shop in the area.