Nemegos, located in Algoma Region, began as a section village on the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) around 1890. At the beginning, all it contained was a station, water tower, siding, a few section homes and about 20 residents.
Things began to pick up in 1916 when a depot opened to supply the local lumber camps. As more people began to gravitate towards the area, they needed a general store and post office. With the opening of a lumber mill around 1924, Nemegos suddenly sprang to life.
At its height, Nemegos boasted a population of close to 100 residents. The community included a school, small hotel, bunkhouse for the single men, and a number of private dwellings. Although the mill closed in early 40s, a salvaging mill built by the Kormak Lumber Company replaced it in 1945.
The salvaging mill lasted until 1957. This time there was no reprieve for the small community. By the mid-60s, the railway dismantled the section village and most of the businesses closed.
Today a tiny handful of residents still call Nemegos home. The community contains a number of abandoned buildings, many of which remain in use seasonally during the hunting season. Learn more