Munroe’s Mills


Grinding stone
The old grinding stone, now landscape decor
©Andrew Beaudin

Munroe’s Mills, located in Glengarry County, was a small milling community settled during the 1860s.

The mills were an ambitious undertaking for their time and included a saw and planing mill, a shingle mill, flour and grist mills and a store. A post office opened in 1874. Following that was an oatmeal mill and a school. Munroe’s Mills was never large. Its population hovered at around 50.

Munroe’s Mills might have continued to thrive were it not for a fire that destroyed two of mills in the early part of the 20th century. They converted the remaining mill into a combination grist, saw and shingle mill.

Today the original Munroe home still stands along with the former post office and general store. The new owners restored these building. Other vestiges, such as the bridge and pylons, still remain. Learn more

How to get there

Munroe’s Mills lies on Munroe’s Mills Rd. just south of Glengarry Rd. 25 and west of Glengarry Rd. 27.

View Ontario Ghost Town Map in a larger map

Nearby centre: Alexandria, 17 kilometres and Cornwall, 19 kilometres

Please note: these maps are generated by Google. We have no control over the contents. Incorrect street data and/or similar problems must be reported directly to Google. For detailed information on roads, please consult a regular road map.

Scroll to Top