Mount Hope, located in Bruce County, was a small farming hamlet. Do not confuse this small community with Mount Hope, a section of the city of Hamilton which is far more well-known.
Mount Hope first came to life in the mid-1850s, with the opening of the Queen’s Bush territory in southwest Ontario. First established were an early Methodist church and school. A post office, operating from 1894 to 1913, followed.
Other than farm-based industries, there was very little commercial activity in Mount Hope. Among its offerings were a cheese factory, blacksmith and several carpenters. Activities during the 20th century primarily took place around the church and school. The church was on the same circuit as Arkwright and Ebenezer. A Women’s Institute formed in the mid-1950s.
All that remains of Mount Hope today are a number of farm buildings, the school, now a private home and the Mount Hope United Church and cemetery. The church continues to remain active. Learn more