Mindoka & South Mindoka
Mindoka and South Mindoka both came to life around 1905. The two communities were located about 1 1/2 kilometres from one another.
Mindoka began as a as a small section village on the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (later Ontario Northland Railway). It included a station, siding, water tower, about half a dozen dwellings and a bunkhouse for the railway workers. A general store and post office followed in 1926.
Compared to Mindoka, South Mindoka was a little livelier. It began as a small sawmill settlement that included the sawmill, a general store and a bunkhouse for the lumbermen. A schoolhouse built in 1926 served both communities.
The depression hit both settlement hard. As a result, the store and post office in Mindoka closed in 1947. Consequently, by the 50s, most of the residents had left.
South Mindoka lasted a little longer. The store closed in 1949 and by the 1960s, the community was completely empty. Learn more