Maybrook was first conceived as a potential divisional point on the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (later ONR). The railway built a flag station and established a town plan, however things fell through when the railway settled instead on Englehart, located just over 9 kilometres north.
In the meantime a small farming settlement was established at Maybrook. The community contained a post office and blacksmith and a sawmill.
Much of Maybrook was destroyed during the horrific fire that devastated a large portion of the northeast in 1922. The small railway station lasted until the 1950s.
Over the years the population gradually dispersed and the area has now reverted to farmland. A sign marks the location where the townsite once stood. Learn more