Photo of Schoolhouse
The former schoolhouse, now a hunt club
©Jeri Danyleyko

Lewisham was a small colonization settlement at the edge of Muskoka that was first settled around 1874. Although the government ostensibly promoted it as farm land, the soil was poor and only small portions of it were arable.

Lewisham thrived for awhile. By the mid 1880s it had a post office, store, school, two churches, and a sawmill. During its best days, Lewisham boasted a population of around 150. Accordingly, the residents set up small bush farms and kept themselves busy shipping hay, lumber and anything else they could produce.

As a result, by the early 20th century, Lewisham’s best days were behind it. Unquestionably, the remoteness of the location, poor farming, depletion of the lumber supply were all contributing factors to Lewisham’s unfortunate demise. Consequently, by 1910, its population had dropped to about 50.

Today very little remains of Lewisham. When last seen, the schoolhouse was in use as a hunt camp. Learn more

How to get there

To reach Lewisham, follow Barkway Rd. south from Muskoka Rd. 20 until you arrive at the hamlet of Barkway. Once in Barkway, the name of the eastern portion of the route changes to Merkley Rd. Drive east on Merkley Rd. to Lewisham Rd. and follow the dirt road south. Travel on this road should be avoided following heavy rainfalls and other inclement weather conditions.

View Ontario Ghost Town Map in a larger map

Nearby centre: Barkway, 6 kilometres

Please note: these maps are generated by Google. We have no control over the contents. Incorrect street data and/or similar problems must be reported directly to Google. For detailed information on roads, please consult a regular road map.

Scroll to Top