Leadbury was a small farming and postal hamlet in Huron County, first settled in 1851. The unnamed settlement began with a hotel and store, both built around 1860. Following that was a school in 1863 and Methodist Church in 1873. The church was located about halfway between Leadbury and Walton. A post office, under the name of Leadbury, opened in 1877.
Leadbury’s post office was busy and serviced most of the farmers living in the area. Since mail only came in and out weekly, farmers could also pick up provisions at the store and stay in the hotel if they needed overnight respite. By the mid-1880s, Leadbury’s population was about 75 and included a carriage maker and blacksmith shop.
Leadbury began to decline in the early 1900s, a victim of changing times. As roads and transportation improved, small postal hamlets like Leadbury lost their usefulness.
Today all that remains of Leadbury is the schoolhouse, now used as a private home. They moved the church several times before it finally ended up in nearby Walton. The community cleaned up and renovated the building and now use it as their community hall. Learn more