Larder Lake Station
Larder Lake Station was a small station village built to accommodate nearby mining operations in Larder Lake.
During the 1920s, the Crown Reserve Mine established a small townsite for its employees. It included a bunkhouse, cookery and a number of homes. For recreation, they added a baseball field. The Associated mine followed suit with a bunkhouse and a few homes.
Just north of the Crown Reserve property, Dr. J.F. Edis laid out another townsite. They were extremely fortunate in having the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (later Ontario Northlands) build a branch line from Swastika to Rouyn, Quebec that ran right through the town. By then the community included a two-storey hotel, large general store, post office and a number of other commercial businesses.
The railway added a station, siding and section village. Twenty more homes then sprang up. One major industry, the Canadian Explosives Company, opened a powder magazine and depot on the siding to supply dynamite to the nearby mines.
After several name changes, they eventually settled on Larder Lake Station. Although most of the mines shut down in the late 1920s, the townsite flourished for a number of years. It was rejuvenated in 1935 with the opening of the Omega Mine. Following the closing of the mine in 1947, many residents left. However, the store continued to thrive until the 1960s. Nothing remains today except for ruins. Learn more