Jamestown was an early stopping place, located in Huron County. It first came to life in the mid-1800s. As a result, thanks to its location, it was a popular sport for people travelling on the stage route from Seaforth to Wroxeter.
At its height Jamestown boasted three hotels, and several other businesses including a blacksmith, shoemaker, and a general store. The community added a school in 1876. Accordingly, church services and other community events took place in one of the meeting halls. A Mr. Mills owned the first meeting hall. Later on, they replaced it with a refurbished church that became known as Victoria Hall.
Jamestown began to decline in the early 20th century. Due to the arrival of the railways, improved roads, and competition from larger communities its usefulness as a stopping off point came to an end. Consequently, with no other businesses or industries to fill the void, Jamestown gradually began to decline.
Today nothing left of the original townsite, other than a small plaque marking the location of the former general store. Learn more