Photo of church ruins
Inside the shell of the church
©Jeri Danyleyko

Horaceville was never an actual townsite or community but rather an industrial estate. It began with Hamnett Pinhey, a British aristocrat and decorated military officer who received a 1000-acre land grant on the Ottawa River in Carleton County.

Pinhey arrived in Canada in 1820 and immediately began construction on a home for his wife and family. He subsequently followed with grist and sawmills, lime and malt kilns, and ash house and granary. For the most part, there seemed to be no end to the ongoing expansion. Besides the industries, the settlement included housing for Pinhey’s workers and an Anglican Church, completed in 1827.

Although feudal in origin, Pinhey was in effect running a company town. He named the estate Horaceville after his eldest son Horace. Respected and well liked, Pinhey later dabbled in local politics.

Following Pinhey’s death in 1857, the estate passed on to his descendants. It remained in the family’s hands until 1971. The Pinhey’s Point Foundation then took control and went on to develop the property as an historical site and recreational area.

The City of Ottawa now owns the bulk of the Pinhey estate. The site only open to the public during the summer months and offers a busy roster of varied events and exhibits. Learn More

How to get there

Directions are available on the Pinhey’s Point website.

View Ontario Ghost Town Map in a larger map

Nearby centre: Ottawa, 17 kilometres

Please note: these maps are generated by Google. We have no control over the contents. Incorrect street data and/or similar problems must be reported directly to Google. For detailed information on roads, please consult a regular road map.

Scroll to Top