Henfryn started out as a mill settlement that boomed with the arrival of the railway in 1873. As a result, the railway hurriedly set up a small station and freight shed and business began rolling in almost immediately. In similar fashion, a post office opened in 1875 and in 1877 mill owner Edwin Davies registered a town plan.
On the positive side, by the 1880s Henfryn boasted two hotels, a general store, a pail factory and a broom factory. The community continued expanding with a brickworks, opened in 1880, as well as two churches, Methodist and Anglican and a school. Later industries included carpet weaving and cider manufacturing. At its peak, Henfryn had a population of about 100.
For unknown reasons, Henfryn was not able to compete with rival communities and attract new business. By the early 1900s, signs of decline were beginning to set in as businesses eventually closed or moved to more prosperous centres.
Today very little remains of Henfryn other than a couple of homes which are still occupied. Learn more