Franklin a once promising village, had its beginnings in the early 1850s after Francis Lynn established a sawmill on top what is now the Bethany Ski Hills. Within a short period of time, families congregated around the mill and a small community began to form.
Franklin got a big boost following the construction of the Midland Railway (later GTR) in 1856-57. At its height it included saw, flour, grist and shingle mills, a store, two churches, a school and the usual blacksmiths, carpenters and shoemakers.
Around 1913 the CPR built a small flag station about halfway between Fleetwood and Franklin. The primary use for the station was shipping produce. That kept the community of Fleetwood busy and profitable for many years. By contrast the railway line in Franklin was not a money maker. CN, under orders to shut down unprofitable lines, closed the station and shut down the line in 1928, following their takeover of the GTR. After the loss of the railway, Franklin never recovered.
Today there is virtually nothing left of the original townsite. All that stands is the original log schoolhouse, converted to a chalet by the Ski Club many years ago. Learn more