Dane had its beginnings as a construction camp on the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario Railway (later Ontario Northlands) in 1906. A town plot, originally known as Boston and later changed to Dane, followed. After that came a flag station, general store and post office.
The gold rush at Larder Lake in 1907 led to the construction of the Dane Road that stretched between the railway station and camp. The reopening of the road led to boom times in Dane. At its height it included freight and cartage facilities, two hotels, several boarding houses, and a school. By 1909 a new railway station was in place and Dane’s population swelled to about 600.
After the mining boom subsided, most of the population left. Dane’s abandonment was gradual, however by the 1960s the store, hotel and school had closed.
Revitalization took place somewhat during the 1980s following construction of a few newer homes along the highway. Of the older portion of the hamlet, a few homes and the old hotel still remain. Learn more