Dalton Station began in 1884 as a small outpost for construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). Following completion of the railway, the CPR built a small section village consisting of a three dwellings and bunkhouse for railway maintenance workers. There were no further plans for Dalton and they left the tiny settlement as is.
Fast forward to 1916 and the arrival of the Austin-Nicholson Lumber Company. The company had already established a mill in Nicholson and planned to open a second mil at nearby Dalton Mills in 1921. This called for the improvement of the much needed railway facilities in Dalton Station. The railway added a rail link to Dalton Mills and Dalton sprang to life.
During the 1930s, Dalton grew to include a general store, company offices, bunkhouses, a school and Catholic Church. The original name for the post office was Parma. That lasted until 1925 when it received a new name of Dalton Station.
Dalton Station thrived until 1949 when the mill at Dalton Mills burned down. Dalton Station gradually began shutting down in the mid-50s. The opening of an electrically powered sawmill in 1962 led to a brief revival that lasted until 1979, when it too closed.
Today it is still possible to find a few original buildings in Dalton. Vacationers use the community seasonally and added a few newer cottages in addition to the older buildings. Learn more