Carnegie began as a small postal hamlet started by Samuel Ewart in 1863. Ewart, who arrived in Canada seven years earlier, was likely growing tired of making semi-regular trips into Paisley to pick up his mail. The post office operated out of his log home.
A year after Ewart’s arrival, the townships opened a small log school, U.S.S. #6, Elderslie and Sullivan with Sam’s son Archibald as one of the first teachers.
Other important settlers in the area included Thomas Clements, who helped establish the Clements Methodist Church in 1862. The church, which included a drive shed, lasted until 1893, when it closed following the union of Methodist churches in Canada.
Samuel Ewart passed away in 1870. The post office lasted another nine years under Ewart’s son, Thomas. After it closed, they transferred postal service to the nearby office in Gillies Hill.
Descendants of the Ewart family went on to play a large role in local politics for the next 70 years. Archibald Ewart served as reeve for two years. A number of years later his son Samuel also served as Reeve. Thomas’ son, also named Samuel, served as township treasurer for an impressive 39 years.
Today all that remains of Carnegie is the schoolhouse and a few century homes. The old log school lasted until 1875. The second school lasted until 1904 when a large, two-storey brick schoolhouse replaced it. The school has been used as a private dwelling since the mid-1960s. Learn more