The Worthington Post Office©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Worthington was a small mining community west of Sudbury. Owned by the Dominion Mineral Company, work began on the property around 1889. The mine was in production by 1891. Ores were treated at the Blezard Mine until 1895, when the company folded.
In the meantime a small town site had developed at the Worthington mine. Initially it contained about 35 dwellings, a company store, railway station and a post office. By 1910 the settlement included a few more stores, a hall, a two-storey hotel and a school. At its height, Worthington boasted 400-500 residents.
In 1915 mining was renewed at Worthington after the mine was purchased by the Mond Nickel Company. Operations continued until October 4th, 1927, when a foreman noticed some unusual shifts in the rocks. An immediate evacuation was ordered. A few hours later, the entire mine workings collapsed. Fortunately no one was hurt, however the mine was closed following the disaster.
Worthington continued to survive through the 30s and 40s as a small highway service outlet. In the mid 50s, the community saw a modest mining revival with the opening of the Kidd-Copper, and Totten mines, just east of the old town site. Those mines lasted about 15 years before closing. Most of the residents left shortly after that.
Worthington still appears on most maps, likely due to the small post office that still continues to operate. Three homes remain occupied.