The former racetrack©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Strathaven, located in Grey County, was first settled in the 1860s. It began as a small farming hamlet. By 1871 it had a small Baptist church and by 1877, a post office. In the 1880s three mills were opened and Strathaven jumped to life.
At its height, Strathaven contained flour, saw, and shingle mills. Commercial businesses included a general store, blacksmith and wagon shops. A school was added in 1888. There was also a Foresters Court.
Strathaven's residents were deeply religious. In 1900, the old church was replaced with a beautiful red brick Romanesque-style structure that quickly became the focal point of the village. The old church was sold to the Foresters and converted to a new Foresters' Hall. Recreational activities included horseracing and competitive sports. A race track and field were added behind the church.
Strathaven was an unfortunate victim of the railway age. The community was bypassed by railways and its industries were unable to compete. By the 1920s, its businesses were closed and the hamlet began to wither away.
Today much of Strathaven has reverted back to farmland. The schoolhouse still stands and has been renovated into an attractive home. The Baptist church continues to flourish and supports a small, but active congregation.