Former cabin©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Newfoundout, located on the Opeongo Road in Renfrew County, was never an actual town site, but rather a settlement comprised of 13 families. The group chose to farm along the rocky hills located on a road opposite a settlement known as Davidson's Corners.
There were no amenities or services in Newfoundout. The closest schools and churches were located along the Opeongo Road, which was a six kilometre trip on foot down the winding, rocky road from the farm sites. A post office, known as Donohue, was opened in 1914.
The families braved it out for almost 100 years until the mid 1940s, when most gave up the struggle. In 1948, Newfoundout was officially declared abandoned.
Today the area is still is still used locally for farming and cattle grazing. Numerous shells of log cabins and other farm buildings are scattered along the side of the road.