Old foundation©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Mohr's Corners began as a early stopping settlement on the stage coach run. Located in Carleton County, it started with a post office in 1853. An inn was opened by Charles Mohr, likely at around the same time. The settlement went through a few different name changes before settling on Mohr's Corners.
At its height, Mohr's Corners contained a school, township hall, Methodist church, two stores, a cooperage, and a number of attractive homes. It boasted a population of around 100.
One important event was the annual fall fair, held by the Fitzroy Agricultural Society. The first fair was held in 1856. By 1874, the fairs had become so popular that a permanent fairground was established. The fairs featured competitions, produce, and various handicraft, fine arts and farm exhibits. They lasted until 1946.
Mohr's Corners began to fade in the 1870s. Galetta, located just to the north, offered an excellent water power site and was able to attract more business.
Today there is very little left of Mohr's Corners. The schoolhouse still stands and is now a private dwelling. One other house has also survived. A few ruins can still be found in the field. Galetta has also declined but for now, continues to exist as a small rural community.