Millbridge and Millbridge Station
The old store©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Mill Bridge (later Millbridge) was an early milling hamlet along the Hastings Road, first settled in the mid 1850s. In its day, it was one of the most important communities in Tudor Township.
The community began with a mill and a bridge located adjacent to the Jordan Creek. By 1860 it had a store, post office and school. By the 1870s it boasted a second store, hotel, inn, boarding house, blacksmith shop and town hall. During the 1880s, it was home to the Millbridge Annual Fair, a big event in the county that offered competitions, exhibits and prizes.
The Central Ontario Railway arrived in 1883 and established a small station village a few kilometres east of Millbridge. This new entity, which was officially called Millbridge Station, was located near a popular pre-railway hotel, known as Hogan's Hotel. The settlement, which later grew to include a store and a few cabins, was better known as "Hogan" after a post office opened in 1900.
Millbridge was one of the many victims of the Hastings Colonization Road, which was both poorly constructed and badly maintained. The Hastings Road had one of the highest rates of abandonment of all the colonization routes. By the 1920s, it contained little more than a string of ghosted settlements.
Millbridge still continues to support a small population, mainly seasonal. A number of the original buildings, including the church, school, and one of the stores, are still standing. The old Hogan's Hotel, now a private dwelling, is all that remains of the station village.