The area has reverted to farmland.©Copyright: Jeri Danyleyko
Ellengowan was a small supply hamlet and stopping place originally settled in the 1850s. The first settlers were the Hopper family from Ireland, who opened a general store and post office and donated land for a school.
Ellengowan was never large, however during its best days it managed to support a population of about 100. The village also included a hotel and livery, both of which burned down in the late 1890s.
By the early 20th century, Ellengowan was clearly on the decline. As businesses began moving to larger centres, its population dropped to about 50. By 1910, the post office had closed and postal services were switched over to rural mail delivery.
Today Ellengowan has reverted back to farmland. The only building still standing is the former school, now a private home.